Re: Copyright Clarification Anyone?

by "Jo Nell Fulwiler" <fulwiler(at)dallas.net>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:56:25 -0600
 To:  "Lisa Buckalew" <jlt(at)gbsias.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Yes, this would be a copyright infringement for the own of the negatives.
Although your client purchased the photographs from the photographer, unless
specified in the sale of the photographs, your client does not own the
rights to reproduce the photographs in any form. This includes scanning them
to be used in hard copy or on the internet.

I am an amateur photography who has taken and sold many racing photographs.
Those that I have sold to magazines and newspapers specify in the contract
with the publisher where the photos may be reproduced and the editions that
they may be published. I own the copyrights on the photos and the negatives.
If your client received the negatives with the sale, then he would have to
right to use them as many times and where ever he desires. This would
include making modifications to the images.

Jo Nell Fulwiler
fulwiler(at)dallas.net
http://www.dallas.net/fulwiler
ICQ UIN 189846