Re: Websafe color codes

by simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)

 Date:  Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:42:32 -0800
 To:  "Noone Special" <pfarabee(at)indy.net>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

>Personally, I have almost stopped worrying about the palette alltogether.
>486 computers are extremely inexpensive today, and graphics cards that
>can handle at least 65,000 colors are practically being given away.

Whoa! Hold on there, not so fast!

While I agree that your points about hardware are true, it's still to early
to ignore the 256 color issue.

As a full time website developer, I am out in the "real world" pitching my
services 2 or 3 times a week. I meet many, many average web surfers and do
my presentations on their machines. I can count on less than one hand the
number of computers that were set to more than 256 colors - even though most
of them could be set higher. No kidding.

It seems that only the very recent crop of computers are set to thousands of
colors or higher. *Most* factory new computers (PC) were set to 256 even
though they can go higher.

The average web surfer knows nothing about this. Indeed, my very first
question to my prospect when I sit down at her desk is, "What color depth
and screen res are you running?" I get a blank stare *Every Time*. No joke.
Sure, I'll change the settings for them, but my point is, it is still to
early to ignore the 256 color issue if you are even partially concerned what
your website are going to look like.

A note for any newbies out there:  Microsoft Image Composer
http://microsoft.com/imagecomposer makes creating graphics for the web
*easy*! This color palette issue is almost a no brainer because MIC was
created for web graphics. It has a very short learning curve and you can use
powerful plug-ins with it to greatly enhance your work. When I read of all
the hoops PhotoShop users have to go through to create graphics for the web,
I just shake my head.

Just a thought for you newbies. It must be a little intimidating when you
read about the steps for PhotoShop. Check out Image Composer. If you'll be
doing web graphics exclusively, you'll be very happy with it.

Regards,
Demitrius >I<