bold letters on my banner

by "J. Foliot" <fouram(at)sympatico.ca>

 Date:  Mon, 9 Mar 1998 20:48:27 -0500
 To:  <alchugby(at)worldnet.att.net>
 Cc:  "graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I am also trying to figure out how to get rid
> of the jagged edge of the bold letters on my banner.

Albert,

I presume you are building a .gif or .jpg banner, and the Text is
jagged...is this right?  Are you Anti-Aliasing the Fonts when you apply the
text?  This process "smoothes" the edges of the fonts by mixing the
background color and the foreground color (the font) in graduated degrees.
The key to doing this is to work in 16 million colors first, and then reduce
the # or colors after the fact (to save as a .gif).   When building .gifs
with transparent backgrounds, try to ensure that the proposed transparent
background matches the final Webpage background as well, so that the
"blended" colors will work with your Webpage background as well.

Although I'm a Paintshop Pro guy, the same functions are available in
Photoshop (although never having used the program, I couldn't walk you
through the process...).

Good luck
John Foliot
Another 4:00 AM Web Thing
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.fouram.com
fouram(at)sympatico.ca
Unsolicited commercial messages sent via email will be billed
$25/message plus $.01/character, incl. header lines.  No exceptions.
Sending such mail constitutes agreement to these terms.