Re: Photoshop 5 vs. PSP 5

by "robemell" <robemell(at)iaw.com>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Apr 1998 16:37:58 -0400
 To:  "Ernie Black [ext 423]" <ernie(at)supra.applix.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Refinement?  Standards?  etc.,?

Corel had multiple undos when Photoshop did not!  Corel PhotoPaint had a
wide variety of effects and built in filters when Photshop was asking for
plugins at extra cost.  Photopaint has included Kai's for the past two or
three versions.  PhotoPaint has provided more options than Photoshop in
earlier versions and thus this stigma about a longer learning curve.  Yep,
if there is more to fiddle with there is more to learn.  There are also more
possibilities and more effects without adding more filters.

I use both.  Corel 6 photpaint was a fair piece beyond what Photoshop 4 was
putting out.  When I got version 4, I was disappointed.  Why?  Because I was
doing more with my previous version of Corel.  I use Photopaint 7.  I
finally heard someone actually say from the art community.  A hard sell
illustrator, Photoshop professional after testing the programs  provided the
news for the Computer Artist Magazine.  He responded to an atricle that was
rating the programs and pointed out the Corel Advances.  Like the option
rich features and effects without added plugins and the myth that you can do
more in Photoshop.  He talked about the industry standards and the long time
loyalty of product but was honest enough to admit that Photopaint was one
feature rich, professional program with added features.

You can achieve most of the effects you get in Photshop with plugins just
with Corel's included features.  Then they add the goodies at no charge.
Like Kai's.  Or you can grab other filters and add them to your groupings in
Photopaint.

I go back and forth between programs for things I prefer.  Photopaint to me
provides a wider variety of options as pointed out in the article.  Then
there are those that can use almost any program and get results of superior
quality using the most obscure programs.  Bottom line is, don't go hacking a
top of the line product because you are married to another.  I use a number
of programs.  Whatever works for me but PhotoPaint is a class act!  So if
you don't dance with it frequently, don't nudge it toward the common.

Most " You Can't Do This" and "Can't Do That"  statements come from people
who have not used the product or those that have but are not familiar with
it and have not explored it properly.  When I visit mailing lists and hear
PhotoShop users telling their friends to do their work in PhotoShop and then
go into Corel PhotoPaint to save the images because the compression is
better, I have to laugh!  They are right!  It is better and I can create the
same images in PhotoPaint, doing everything they do without leaving the
program I'm working in.  Now this is marriage to a product :-)  Why not go
into a program that does all of it and stay there?