Re: New site

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:04:07 -0000
 To:  "Lynne Marshall" <l.marshall(at)strath.ac.uk>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Lynne Marshall <l.marshall(at)strath.ac.uk>
>I would be grateful if you would look at the following URL.  I am
fairly
>new to web design and I am concerned about several topics e.g use of
>colours, download time, quality of graphics etc.  I am using PSP 5.
>Please feel free to criticize and to advise.
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Lagoon/4771/index.html

Lynne,
You may get a more thorough critique from the "critiques list", but I
will throw in a few suggestions here.

Front page: include width and height attributes on your images. First
thing I noticed when downloading page, the images started jumping around
until they were all visible.

All pages: include some sort of navigation, other than making viewers
continuously go back to the home page 5 times, to get to the next page.

Places page: the paragraphs corresponding to each image appears to be
uneven spacing in between them. Suggestion: use more text per paragraph
to equal it out, or align paragraph text center of each image. I also
noticed an attribute you have placed in your images tags: ALIGN=TEXTTOP
I have never seen this attribute before in an img tag, or any other tag
for that matter. The ALIGN attribute in the img tag is "depreciated".
Try using VALIGN="top/middle/bottom" in your preceding td tags. Also,
suggest to make all images the same width, for your text alignment is
being thrown off horizontally.

Some pages: consecutive <br>s with no &nbsp; which can cause some
browsers to collapse the breaks, resulting in just one break only.

All pages: the use of relative sizing on your fonts should be in quotes.

Entire site: as Susan Daniels mentioned, you should look for a host that
is available to commercial sites. There are many "free hosts" which
cater to commercial sites. Xoom.com is one of them. Graphics look great
:-)

TAF,
Cindy Stanley
http://pages.prodigy.net/stanleysupport