Re: Graphics Problem Revisited

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:37:02 -0500
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>,
<eve(at)gospelcom.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Eve Emshoff <eve(at)gospelcom.net>
>The problem is
>not, by itself, solved yet. I've uploaded the pages to the domain:
>http://www.lienieslittlethings.com/, and you can see the situation for
>yourself. It's not entirely working and is not entirely public (perhaps
>next week). A recap: I'm allowed 6 pages only to do a client's site,
and
>she wanted a large portion of her catalog online. I can't say I'm
entirely
>happy with it, but did what I could in the pages allowed in the
contract. I
>know /I/ would not want to wait that long to peruse a catalog, however.

First thing I noticed, your actual image size is being downloaded on the
fareast.htm page. Is this what you wanted? I took the liberty of making
an *actual thumbnail* of one of your images that is on this page, taking
the file size from 62,257 down to 2489 bytes. Quite a big difference for
download time. I probably could have compressed the jpeg more, but I
started out at 30 compression, and ended up with a grave difference in
file size. You could probably compress more and not lose much detail.
Take a look at this:
<http://pages.prodigy.net/stanleysupport/test.htm>
(I will remove the above page as soon as you have confirmed you have
viewed it)

I, personally would rather have the first page of thumbnails download
faster, then click on the thumbnail, *then* wait for the full size image
to be dowloaded on a new page.

>His recommendation: clump all the images in question on a
>page into one large image. Create a Javascript (or Java applet?) that
would
>clip out one part of the image and show it in that image's placeholder.
>Then you'd only have the one image to deal with.

I am not familiar with this, but would like to see an example myself.

HTH,
--
Cindy K. Stanley
Stanley Support Service