Re: Background Gif

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 18 May 1999 12:29:58 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Andrea Clarke <andiepc(at)hotmail.com>
>I am using a gif from a "free" graphics site as a background to a site
I'm
>developing.  I want the background to have a repeating picture on the
left
>hand boarder.  What actually appears is the pictures on both the left
and
>right side of the boarder, although the original graphic contained only
the
>pictures on the left side.
>
>Do I have to specify the width of the page in order for the background
to be
>presented only once?
>
>The page is at: http://www.magma.ca/~sclarke/HIM/HimHome.html

Andrea,
The free background you downloaded and chose to use is apparently made
for 800x600 resolution, meaning those at lower resolution will not see
the full right border graphic, and those at higher resolution will see
more solid color past the right border. The only way around this is to
modify the bg in a graphics editor: (if it is permissible to modify)

-Open up the bg in a graphics editor like PSP, choose the existing color
of the solid bg, add canvas to the right side of the width to be approx
1600 pixels wide total bg (image/canvas size). Then choose the shapes
tool set at rectangle/filled and solid color over the graphic on the
right border.

--
Cindy K. Stanley
SSS WebWorks <http://www.ssswebworks.com/>