Re: Re: Width attribute in TD concerning graphics

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 26 May 1999 18:00:33 -0400
 To:  "hwg-graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Lonna Poland <lonna(at)granbury.com>
>Since we are discussing the width attribute inside TD tags, I have
noticed
>some people use the exact pixel width (td=400); and others use percents
>(td=80%).  I am confused as to under what conditions does one use the
>percent rather than the width...or is it just a matter of preference,
and
>also, does it make a difference if the width is written without the "
"?
>I've had to work a lot with tables lately, and the different ways they
are
>written, also for including graphics in the tables.  Which is the
"right"
>way?  Or is there one? :))  Or are we comparing apples and oranges?

IMO, it is simply a preference, but can tell you that when using the the
percentage value for your width attribute, it works great for text.
Sometimes, you may run into a problem using the percentage value when
using graphics. Depending on the type of graphic, and how it is layed
into tables, you may get unwanted results. Using the percentage value is
a great thing for different resolution viewing, but be careful when you
mix it with graphics.

>Another question concerning tables and graphics.  I have two graphics
in a
>table row.. one is much shorter than the other.  When I put
align=middle in
>the tag for the shorter graphic it lined up exactly where I want it in
IE4,
>but when I viewed with NN4 it was way off.  Is there a way to write the
tag
>to be compatible in most versions of IE and NN?

Use the valign attribute in your td tag, instead of align. This will
align your graphics vertically, by specifying either top, middle,
bottom, or baseline.

>Also, can someone point me
>to a good tutorial on building tables to be compatible with most
browsers,
>and also multiple graphics in tables.

nope, cant answer this one.

--