Re: Painful clients [was Webmaster or Web Designer]

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Sat, 12 Jun 1999 05:47:30 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Eliza and Zoe <halywn(at)xenon.net>
>The problem was one that I'm sure is relatively common - he "fiddled"
with
>the website (using netscape composser) and is under the opinion that he
can
>do web design.  He wanted me to tell him why the mouseovers no longer
work
>(he had changed the size of the image width and height).  We discussed
>things.  He got angry.  I said "why are you angry with me?" he replied
>"because I'm the customer and you are arguing with me."

Step back ... you are not the one arguing w/ the customer. The customer
is arguing w/ you.

>Another 1/2 hour of similar  I was almost in tears.

That "another 1/2 hour of similar" shoud be billed. Hopefully there is a
contract between you and client. Does your contract specify
"consultation/instruction/education" or just simply a "website
construction deal"?

>How do I handle this?

If this particular possible *former* client wants to "fiddle" with a
website that you constructed, then of course, he/she should continue w/
your web construction contract (if you had one) OR to "fiddle" on his
own (depending upon your contract specs). I would suggest, if this
client/customer wants to continue to *learn* web developing and do it
him/herself, then, at this time, you should draw up a new contract for
*consultation/instruction* and begin a new fee schedule. If you present
yourself properly, then this could be a good option for you and also
leave the client/customer satisfied.

>The deal is that I work at home (travel to this
>place is over an hour each way).  He wants me to work in house, dispite
the
>fact he has no graphics programs.  The only thing I can think of is to
>double the amount I charge for working in house to discourage him - and
it
>might discourage him from "fiddling" and then having to get me in to
fix
>things again!

My opinion, there is only ONE webmaster ... you are asking for a ton of
trouble if you decide to go with "you do this, I fix that, and I bill
you extra". Either opt to "consult" him and "instruct", along w/ a new
fee schedule or stand your ground and let him know your original rates
were for "you" to build his site, not to "show and tell". If this client
honestly wants to learn the ropes, then there must be a new schedule
fee, along w/ a new contract.

--
Cindy K. Stanley