Re: engraving an image into stone

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:06:02 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>,
"Kevin Dail" <kdail(at)advanix.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Kevin Dail <kdail(at)advanix.net>
>I have u/led a page with the logo in question and my latest attempt to
>carve it into stone. I used Eye Candy's carve filter.
>http://www.advanix.net/~kdail/test.html
>
>Thanks to all who have given me tips on this one! I still feel I am not
>quite there...

Another way, using PSP5.1 (you did mention you had PSP earlier, right?):
-Open logo that has white bg.
-"Spray" the logo w/ a "marble" texture, w/ foreground color palette set
to light/medium gray (adjust brush tip to your liking). OR, you could
just "paste as transparent selection" on a previously made marble canvas
(I chose to spray the logo).
-Make small thumbnail (100x100) image w/ the same "marble spray"
settings, except make it a bit LIGHTER (more opaque), to use later for
flood filling text.
-"Magic wand" select your text (one letter at a time, if necessary), and
flood fill w/ your marble thumbnail (which is a bit lighter).
-Leave text selected, and choose "Image/Effects/Cutout".
-Leave "Fill interior w/ color" unchecked. Shadow color "Black". Opacity
and blur to your liking (I used 80 opacity, 2.4 blur). Vertical and
Horizontal to your liking (I used 4 and 4 on wider letters, and THEN did
a cutout again, this time using negatives on vertical and horizontal
of -2).
-Leave text selected, and choose "Images/Drop Shadow" of color white,
opacity 90-100, w/ very little blur, and vertical/horizontal set to 1 or
2 (depending upond size of letter -- adjust to your liking).

Here is a sample of the beginning "carved in stone" logo. I didn't take
alot of pains w/ it.

<http://www.ssswebworks.com/logocarved.gif>

You could achieve a *deeper cut*, by darkening the opacity or widening
the vertical and horizontal of the cutout, and/or lessening the blur.
The bricks around the text were freehand selcted, and then the cutout
effect applied (which was done w/ darker opacity and wider vertical and
horizontal). You may have to *freehand/cleanup/line enhance* the edges
of some of the letters. Play around w/ the settings above to achieve the
look you like.

--
Cindy K. Stanley