Re: I Got the Intermediate Web Designer Blues

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:28:05 -0500
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: JoAnna Blanding-Koskinen <jmkoskinen(at)earthlink.net>
>  I have a question maybe someone can answer for me. What is the
>responsibility of the web page designer to the client once the page has
>been completed? And vice-versa?

This would all depend on any contracts that were agreed upon prior to
construction of the site.

>  I have done four web pages for clients, with the hope of being able
>use them as a reference of my work, but not two weeks after completing
>the pages for my clients, they went in there and immediately started
>moving things around, and changing this and touching that....geez!

You could still opt to use those sites as examples of your work, but
unfortunately, you would not be able to use the actual URL of that site
(since it has been re-designed and not by you), nor the current
contents. I would imagine you have these sites on disk or storage
somewhere, so put up the original sites, or front pages (your call) on
another server, like your own, and just call the reference to that URL.
You could also mention that the sites have been redesigned by another,
therefore that is the reason they are residing on your business site
now.

>  What am I supposed to do here? Have a disclaimer saying that the
pages
>looked great at one time, but due to unforeseen circumstances - namely,
>people who have no idea of what they're doing - the pages are not
>representative of the designer?

You could put a similar disclaimer on the server that you want to host
the original work, like in a subdirectory of your business site.

If you don't get responses like you are needing, try throwing this at
the Business list of the HWG.

--
Cindy K. Stanley