Re: Designing for Viewers

by "Natalie Verge" <nsv(at)mb.sympatico.ca>

 Date:  Wed, 26 May 1999 02:46:14 -0500
 To:  "Chris Hawkins" <wings(at)azstarnet.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>> Could I ask all of you what your take is on designing for the user out
>> there?  For instance, if I'm desiging on .25 pitch monitor, doesn't that
>> affect adversely what the common .28 monitor user sees?

>Look at a .25 and a .28 side by side and decide for yourself!
>~~Randy

Hmmm... what a uniquely useful response. I'm guessing that if you had that
option, you would do it. So...

Quoted from "How to Buy a Computer" by Myles White:
"The '.28 dp' is shorthand for .28 millimetre (mm) dot pitch - a measurement
of the space between the phosphor dots on the inside of the monitor screen.
Your picture is made up of the glowing dots and the space between them. A
dot-pitch measurement higher than .31 mm is grainy. Beware of ads that don't
mention the number at all - they're generally up around .39, .43, or even
.47 mm, and they're awful. Sharp, clear pictures start at .28 mm, and .26 mm
or lower is gorgeous (and expensive, but worth every penny)."

So I'm guessing that what you design on a .25 dp monitor will appear
slightly fuzzier, but still acceptable, on the average .28 dp monitor.

Hope this helps,
--
Natalie Verge
Talk to me: nsv(at)mb.sympatico.ca