Re: Inserting text easily into a web page????

by Thom Bradley <thombrad(at)visi.net>

 Date:  Fri, 1 Sep 2000 20:20:23 -0400
 To:  Lou Hall <lhall1(at)midsouth.rr.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Lou,

LH> A potential client [lumber broker] has a simple "do it yourself" web
LH> page that has yet been
LH> put in the data base of search engines, etc. This lumber broker has done
LH> nothing to publicize
LH> the free site which  is really no more than a three or four question
LH> survey. It is at "bigstep.com".

LH> This potential client develops a one page weekly bulletin that is
LH> basically  a price
LH> list with about 75 characters per line [25 items with 10 more lines of
LH> narrative]  identifying available
LH> lumber with size, price, etc. and it's location throughout the United
LH> States. This is faxed to about
LH> 1,500 clients, or potential clients each week.  Also, there is a three
LH> column, one page front and back
LH> news letter that is mailed very three months.  His fax sending is some
LH> what  automated as he
LH> develops them with a word processor, then with his fax software can send
LH> them to approximately
LH> fifteen hundred locations over night. He states that his communication
LH> cost is about $1,000
LH> per month.

LH> What this clients wants to do is to expand his web site to have this
LH> price list on it.  Of course,
LH> I could put this price list into HTML code, place it on the web site and
LH> have a link for the
LH> historical bulletins for several prior weeks. He would then send out
LH> faxes, email, or both with
LH> references to the web site in summary form. But this seems like too much
LH> work to effect any
LH> savings to him, if this is the only thing he is looking for.  No
LH> determination has been made
LH> as to how many on his list have email addresses. There is a lot that I
LH> haven't researched.

LH> The question that I am posing is:

LH> What's the best way to get this price list into a web site every week
LH> without rekeying?

LH> Do I scan, and put it into some [what?] format, resolution, image size,
LH> etc.?

LH> Is there some software that would convert the Microsoft Word Document to
LH> HTML coding
LH> automatically?

LH> Or maybe, I should just walk away from the job since the potential
LH> client is a one man office
LH> looking to do a lot of things,  but not spending a lot of money.

LH> Your comments would be appreciated.

Word 2000 will do a "Save as HTML". IT won't be pretty code, but it'll
work. Also, Adobe can convert it to a .pdf and clients can download
it.
     Don't run from it. It should be pretty easy and you never know
     where these little things will go.
--

 Thom Bradley                           mailto:thombrad(at)visi.net