Re: Breaking up images in Photoshop 4.0?

by "Collin Lim" <collinlim(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:20:51 PST
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Rick:

I use one of two methods described below.  The first method is quick and
easy if you don't need to be super accurate on your parsing.  The second
method requires more work but you can parse very accurately.  I'm
assuming you are comfortable with Photoshop 4 so I'm not going to give
you all the steps.

Method 1:
1. Make a backup of your finished image, work on the copy
2. Set grid to a relatively fine setting (File-Preference)
3. Display grid (View-Show Grid)
4. Turn on snap-to-grid (View-Snap to grid)
5. Use rectangular marquee tool or crop tool to select the area
6. Crop the image (Image-Crop)
7. Save this image using Save As
8. You can also save/export to the desired format at this time
9. Keep the cropped image open for reference
10. Open the original copy and repeat from Step 5

Method 2:
1. Make a backup of your finished image, work on the copy
2. Turn off grid
3. Use rectangular marquee tool or crop tool, select the area
4. Write down the X-Y coordinates
5. Crop the image (Image-Crop)
6. Save this image using Save As
7. You can also save/export to the desired format at this time
8. Keep the cropped image open for reference
9. Open the original file and repeat from Step 3 by picking up from the
last set of coordinates

I would recommend using Method 1.  I was able to achieve good result by
using the grid method (example at
http://xoom.com/burleson/photo/zgalsel.html).  I'm sure there are other
ways to do this.  Stay tuned for other suggestions from the List.  Good
luck.

-Collin