Re: Animated gif with multiple links

by ryan_fischer(at)juno.com

 Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:26:27 -0500
 To:  bassmstr(at)westol.com
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:06:18 -0500 Steve Bassler <bassmstr(at)westol.com>
writes:
>Jane Will wrote:
>> I am trying to make an animated gif link to more than one URL.
>> The animation is similar to the one on the bottom of the  Microsoft
>> site at:
>> http://backoffice.microsoft.com/Showcase/BTS/bts_home.asp
>> Whith each "face" change I would like to be able to change the HREF
>> target.  Any idea how that could be accomplished?
>> Thanks,
>> Jane
>Alternatively, it might be possible to do this in JavaScript.

It is.

>I assume you can change the URL in the same fashion.  I'm
>not so sure you can set up a loop to change an image/URL on a regular
>basis, but I suspect it can be done.  If so, you could have a series of
>animated images, with each image doing a single initial morph or a
>scroll from the previous image.  As each image was displayed, it would
>give the impression of a continuous animation.
>Anybody ever do this?
>Steve

Sure, you can do this.  In fact, a while back, I wrote a script that
exactly this... but not with an animated gif.  That would be difficult to
synchronize.  It would have to be a set of images to work properly.
E-mail me privately if you want to attack the problem in this fashion.

-Ryan Fischer
ICQ UIN - 595003