Re: File size of .gifs

by Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:53:54 -0800 (PST)
 To:  Alastair <me(at)alastair.force9.co.uk>,
hwg-graphics <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have NEVER had this problem with PSP.  I just looked at
several .gifs i have created in PSP and there was no sign
of your "header".  can anyone else back up your claims?
Sorry, but i will be a doubting Thomas for a while before
i accept this slamming of one of my favorite programs.

LukO

===
                                luko(at)rocketmail.com
                                luko(at)rocketmail.com
                              L U K E O P P E R M A N
                                luko(at)rocketmail.com

---Alastair <me(at)alastair.force9.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Scott & list,
> > I made images in 24bit color (16m colors) in
PaintShop, and put my
> >antialiased text in there, and everything, and then I
reduced the colors to
> >24 colors (which is still 8bit, but that's all I can
do), and save it as a
> >transparent gif.  It still comes out to about 2k. !!
What am I not doing
> >(or doing) that is the difference.
>
> It's not your fault - it's Paint Shop Pro's! Try opening
up one of your
> saved files in Notepad. If you scroll across a little
way, you will see that
> most of the file is taken up by some silly header
information along the
> lines of:
> !!!"""###$$$%%%&&&'''((()))***+++,,,---...///000111...
etc.

> This is a Paint Shop Pro "feature", and I wonder how
many other graphics
> packages it afflicts? I tried opening up one of the
Intel graphics and then
> saving out from PSP. It came out at 2.02Kb from 670
bytes (approx). Note
> that if you decrease the colour depth to 16 colours, PSP
doesn't seem to do
> this and the file-size is nice and small. I would
recommend that you use
> 16-colour GIFs for text-oriented menus if possible -
that's plenty of
> colours for anti-aliasing text unless you really *are* a
pedant... :)