Re: Who are you folks

by ryan_fischer(at)juno.com

 Date:  Sun, 8 Mar 1998 23:03:46 -0500
 To:  alchugby(at)worldnet.att.net
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Writer Mentor Tori Mala wrote:
>Why dont you all just reply to the person who asked, privately, reather
>than send it to the entire list. I mean come on, getting about 250
>messages a day, ON TOPIC from three lists, the last thing I need is
>another 50-60 emails OFF TOPIC, and as far as I am concearned this is
>just a waste of time; after all, few days from now, noone will remember
>more than couple of you by name.
>Please find the original sender and reply to him personally

Amen!  It's about time someone pointed out the need to get this list back
on topic.  Unlike the other lists I subscribe to, this is one that I am
not that active on because I honestly don't know that much about the
topic.  I want to learn, but I honestly don't care who else subscribes to
this list.  I know there is a lot of talent (and a lot of diversity)
here, and that's all I really need to know.  One purpose of your sig, and
your personal homepage, is to tell people a little bit more about
yourself... BUT ONLY IF THEY CARE TO HEAR ABOUT IT!  If you have
something to say, put it on the web.  Then, maybe if you impress someone
with something you say on the list; then just maybe they'll be bored
enough to see more of what you have to say by going to your (possibly
pathetic excuse for a) homepage.

I realize that I replied to the software portion of this thread, and to
some extent that was wrong.  But I felt that software was a little more
appropriate for this list, and this list was in dire need of some comic
relief anyway.

Off-topic threads have been a problem in the past month on a few of the
Guild's lists.  This might be due to the fact that there are new lists
and people are just now getting a feel for them.  The list guides usually
do a great job dealing with off-topic threads, but I am now beginning to
wonder why this one hasn't been dealt with yet.  Popularity should NEVER
constitute appropriateness (although sadly, that is rarely the case).

<alchugby(at)worldnet.att.net> writes:
>I totally enjoy the 250 (have there been so many already?) messages on
>this thread, but I can also understand Mentor (first name?)'s
>frustration.  Sometimes I also run into threads that I have absolutely
>no interest of and I just delete them.  With a diverse group on the
>list, it's inevitable to run into things that we don't care about. I
>would suggest that Mr(?). Mentor Tori Mala just delete all the messages
>that are of no interest to him(?) and leave everybody else alone.
>Al Chu

You would be right.  That is, IF this were a thread that was ON TOPIC!
But since that is NOT the case, you are so, so incredibly WRONG!  It's
neither right nor fair to insinuate that Tori is the irresponsible one
just because he? is sick of hitting the delete button on posts he?
shouldn't have had to receive in the first place.  This thread has done
nothing but provide a chance for people who have nothing else to offer to
come out of their shells and post to this list for the first time, thus
cluttering this list with even more bandwidth-consuming garbage.

>And Albert Chu also wrote:
>This is easily the most interesting, and meaningful, thread I've seen
>since I joined this list six, seven months ago.

You obviously haven't been paying very much attention or are subscribed
to the wrong lists if this pathetic excuse for an interesting,
meaningful, and (heaven forbid) educational thread is the best one you've
seen in six or seven months.  If you even take a quick glimpse at the
archives you'll be in for a great awakening.  Let's get back to the topic
at hand, which, on this list, is GRAPHICS!

>In fact, I spent the last two days trying to figure out how to code a
table with a blank left-hand >vertical cell (corresponding to the color
band in the background).  I need some help here. Anyone >willing to give
me a hand please e-mail me privately. By the same token, I would be happy
to help >others improve their verbal presentation (the writing or
contents part of webpage creation) >because that is something I am good
at.

I would love to help you.  REALLY!  I WOULD!  But...

	This is OFF-TOPIC for hwg-graphics and is being redirected to
hwg-techniques!  ;-)

-Ryan Fischer
ICQ UIN - 595003