Re: compression utilities

by Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:48:20 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  paul brockmeyer <p-brockmeyer(at)nwu.edu>,
hwg-graphics <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The image must be decompressed to be displayed. As a note,
this can be problem on slower machines if you have a large
pixel size image, say a whole backround image 1200x1200 or
whatever. though you may be able to get this image to
compress well (say, if it is all one color :-) but the
uncompressed image still takes the same amount of VRAM,
causing the computer to freeze. (My 386 did not need a
very large image for this to happen :-)

I assume the Adobe product you mean is ImageReady, i must
have seen 5 reviews of it versus Macromedia Fireworks in
the last month. (Cant editors of magazines be original?)
Anyways, i use Fireworks. It has a nice
preview/export/compression options function, making it
very easy to compare different settings. once you find a
setting that works you can batch process a directory with
that setting. it also allows you to add and subtract
colors from the palette and has a setting that keeps any
web-safe colors you might have in the image. But global
palettes are not really possible. apparently imageready is
similar though im sure there are differences in the
features.

(Of course there are other reasons besides
compression/export features to choose either of these
products, so look into it all before buying one. Also, you
can get a trial version of Fireworks from Macromedia's web
site.)

Luke

---paul brockmeyer <p-brockmeyer(at)nwu.edu> wrote:

> got a couple questions ...
>
> first, i've been using the ulead smart saver trail,
which is a wonderful
> compression utility (as far as i know).  anyway, i was
just wondering if
> anyone knew how exactly these kinds of programs work.  i
understand the
> compression part, but what happens on the browser side?
netscape grabs the
> compressed file and decompresses it for you to look at,
or do we view the
> compressed file?  just a little curious as to how this
works.

> and also ... how does ulead stack up again other
compression software.
> what else is out there ... i know adobe has a new one,
does anyone know
> about that?
>
> thanks.
> paul

===

                - ( luke opperman ) -
     Spigot Graphics, Cohesive Design for the Web
          - ( http://spigot.hypermart.net/ ) -