Re: my thumbnails suck! help!

by dflem(at)ix.netcom.com

 Date:  Fri, 9 Jan 1998 18:15:58 -0600 (CST)
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lest we forget...the usual use of a thumbnail is as a "suggestion" to the
viewer to look at the larger (and bigger) graphic. It doesn't necessarily
HAVE to be an exact miniture, but a suggestion of what the viewer wants to
see. I have had incredible luck with VuePro, resizing jpg's to thumbnail
size.

Dan Fleming
On 01/08/98 21:42:47 you wrote:

>Hello e!
>
>> I really really need advice on creating thumbnails.
>
>> http://www.netcom.ca/~enigma/INDEX.html
>
>> can use with paintshop pro? Currently I am scanning at 200dpi and
>> reducing the image size using the RESIZE option.  Also, is .gif or
>> .jpg generally better for thumbnails?
>
>'Thumbnail' is irrelevant regarding GIF or JPG. These are 'photoreal'
>images and call for JPG.
>
>The problem with thumbnailing is that -so- much information is just
>plain lost in resizing, regardless of image format. Example, self.jpg
>is 250x361 = 90250 pixels. The thumbnail is 50x72 = 3600 pixels, appx
>4% of the original. A thumbnail will look 'similar' to the full size
>image, but no way can it really look 'the same but smaller'.
>
>Here's a 'for instance' a speck of 'red' against 'white':
>
>WWWWW
>WWWWW
>WWRWW
>WWWWW
>WWWWW
>
>Shrink that by 25x and you're left with:

>...and the bit of red is lost.
>
>Here's one way to retain 'some' of what's lost, two steps, blur
>slightly then resize. Using the above example, some of the 'red' is
>blurred outward into the white area:
>

>WWWWW
>WRRRW
>WRRRW
>WRRRW
>WWWWW
>
>Then after resizing:

>...and that speck of red is retained.
>
>In JPG every little bit of color that gives the 'impression' of
>'something' helps a lot, yields a 'better' picture.
>
>I don't take credit for that trick, I read it somewhere, probably a
>long time ago in an HWG list.
>
>Have a :) day!
>
>jim barchuk
>mailto:jb(at)jbarchuk.com