Re: my thumbnails suck! help!

by dflem(at)ix.netcom.com

 Date:  Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:02:56 -0600 (CST)
 To:  enigma(at)netcom.ca
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
The thumbnail question/thread is certainly hanging on a long time...
I suggest you look at VuePro - a shareware prgram for graphics viewing and
limited "fixes". Among other things, it allows you to save an image at
reduced or enlarged sizes (just figure your ratios). As an example, on
http://www.encinal.org, I have 4 thumbnails on the head page, all form
photos, with virtually no loss in quality - just smaller. I did the same on
http://www.mtiusa.com - any of the product pages, again with little loss in
quality.

Dan Fleming
Webmaster Services
On 01/09/98 16:15:34 you wrote:

>just us wrote:
>>
>> I really really need advice on creating thumbnails.  I am in the process
of
>> creating a web page for an artist/illustrator which will serv to display
>> her work but I am having difficulty creating good-quality thumbnails for
my
>> navigation bars...  you can see what I mean at
>> http://www.netcom.ca/~enigma/INDEX.html    (I know the site is
>> uncomfortable to view at less than 600x800 resolution and I am fixing
that
>> problem next *smile* ).   I have graphic workshop and paintshop pro but I
>> cant afford to buy any new software so freeware or shareware is what I am
>> interested in.  OR is there some method I can use with paintshop pro?
>> Currently I am scanning at 200dpi and reducing the image size using the
>> RESIZE option.  Also, is .gif or .jpg generally better for thumbnails?
Ok
>> so have a look at the site and see the crappy thumbnails and please
please
>> offer some advice!
>>
>> enigma.
>========
>Hi...
>I looked at your site because I, too, am having problems w/ thumbnails
>so I'm reading responses to your questions w/ great interest. I feel
>compelled, tho, to comment on your site (very nice, I thought, once the
>thumb problems are solved), but please, won't you put an apostrophe in
>Dawne's resume? Thanks.
>Gail Miller

Dan Fleming
Webmaster Services