Re: Dimensions of a JPEG file

by edperry(at)ix.netcom.com

 Date:  Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:46:12 -0600 (CST)
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
James Smith wrote:

>I'm writing a Perl script to automatically set up pages on a website I'm
>a joint webmaster of - part of it includes images - for .gif files it is
>easy to find the height and width of the file - my question is does
>anyone know how I can achieve this for a .jpg file?

Sorry I'm responding from home rather than lab else I could answer you
more directly, the reason being my having a complete set of documentation
and source files for jpg file creation/manipulation.  However, it is
likely that these materials continue to exist as downloadable items on
the net (as I originally obtained them) if you were to search for the
JPEG organization using, say, Lycos, Excite or something comparable.
The source code is virtually 100 per cent C, and thus should prove to
be eminently readable to a seasoned Perl programmer (g); if not, the
docs are good.  I built a couple of rather useful utilities from them
with little trouble.  Good luck!

Ed Perry

edperry(at)ix.netcom.com		US Tel 650.854.2189
edperry(at)compuserve.com		US Fax 650.654.0175
ceoi3c(at)aol.com			ICQ UIN 4270402

Member, HTML Writers Guild
Member, International Society of Internet Professionals
Member, VHFCN and Heli-Vets (USMC, RVN 66-68 -- VMFA-542, HMM-164)
Member, Assn of Old Crows (and Webmaster at http://www.goldcrows.org)
Life Member, Stanford Alumni Association
Life Member, American Defense Preparedness Assn
Life Member, Phi Beta Kappa Society

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for
the public to be the most anxious for its welfare."  -  Edmund Burke

Visit me on the Web:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/edperry (bio, et al)
http://members.aol.com/ceoi3c (resources/clients' test site)
http://members.aol.com/ecperry (US Marine Corps)