Re: Resoultion

by rbrooks <crazybreadstick(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Jan 1999 06:47:27 -0800 (PST)
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have to also agree - as much as it turns my stomach to see my
girlfriend's computer with 640x480 and enough taskbars and system tray
icons no one knows the function of to fill 5 computers (she thinks she
may need them someday and will not let me touch them), we have to
remember from the professional side _these_ are the people most likely
that will need help and will be coming to our businesses. Although FYI
I just got a new puter Friday from Gateway and it was set at 800x600 -
I noticed and was surprised.  Thats why on the "Quality" subject I was
asking if there is a trick or alternative - knowing that if and
probably no, I'd have to suck my gut in and redo it no matter how
happy I was.

---Michael Beane <Michael_Beane(at)umit.maine.edu> wrote:

> TheWideWeb(at)aol.com,.Internet writes:
> >I think this is a major problem in the design community.  People are
> >designing
> >sites at 800x600 resolution.  This is a really bad choice.  All of
the
> >new
> >computers purchased come with a default resolution of 640x480.
> >Visitors do
> >not want to have to adjust their monitor settings and many don't know
> >how.
>
> You've met my family then?
>
> >I think that this is a vital step.  People must realize that over 50%
> >still
> >browse the Web at a low resolution.  This is partly due to Microsoft
> >shipping
> >all of their computers as 640x480 set as default.  Most new computer
> >users
> >don't even know how to set their resolution.  Others, like their
> >computer
> >screen bigger.
>
> >Chris Lynch
>
> While it could be argued that newer computers are shipping at 800x600,
> it'd be extremely crued not to attempt to cater to the millions of
> computers out there that are still running at 640 res.  One of the
> things that is apparent to me on my campus is the amount of computers
> that are in 640x480.  Funding doesnt grant much in the way of letting
> them acquire much more than a basic system.
>
> As much as I like my screen at eyeblistering resolutions, I have to
> agree with you.  I've had to learn to produce at 640 and have gotten
> far better results since then.  Though my personal page is quite
> another matter :-P
>
> Sincerely,
> Mike Beane
> Technology Consultant
> UMSG, Inc.
> http://www.umit.maine.edu/~michael_beane/
> UIN #1322099

==
If you go flying back through time, and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact.