Re: Hardware Recommendations

by "Katrina Lobbia" <klobbia(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:49:01 PST
 To:  dangray(at)ix.netcom.com,
hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
oh yeah... I have only one word for those machines... SWEET!

We just built a new technology center here on campus...... and it
basically consists of 20 very nice SGI Unix machines, running off the
Irix operating system. 10 of these have 20 inch regular SGI monitors,
the other 10 have 19 inch flat panels....
and I get free reign over any of them as the school's apprentice
webmaster.

I'll just say it put my laptop to shame.... I hate working on those
things, then going back to a puny, slow little machine at my dorm. makes
my mac look like a paperweight, and I just bought a new pentium II
machine last month, and it still looks puny in comparison to the SGI.

The only problem..... Unix tends to be more expensive in buying
programs, and they are only up to photoshop 3 release for it.... but it
is soooooo much better than anything Else I've used. For one thing, it
is like physically IMPOSSIBLE to crash one of those puppies.... for
another, it multitasks like there is no tommorow.... and third... well,
I dunno... its just really nice... and really fast...
the Irix takes a little getting used to... but its easy once you do.
PLUS, its compatible with both macs and PCs..... I take all my graphic
design homework over there to do, even though all the grading and stuff
is on Macs.... and I've had no problems going back and forth between
either.

just my two cents on that...
Katrina :o)