Re: web design career becoming obsolete? please no!

by "L. J. Durham" <taliesinmedia(at)yahoo.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 7 Jun 1999 21:06:44 +0100 (BST)
 To:  Franchesca Havas <ches(at)io.com>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Are you interviewing using headhunters/agencies or are you going
directly to companies? There is a difference (but not much). Also given
that you are located in Dallas - that may have an impact as well.
Higher salaries for permanent work are in the east and Northern CA ---
mainly because of the cost of living in these areas. Some people are
just cheap -- as we all know Im sure.

Also -- Ive had people "test" me (and some friends) to "assess" my
skill level for jobs and freelance work -- and later found out they
USED the product. And of course theres no way for me to prove that the
work is mine <sigh>. So Im leery now of people who are insist on
"tests" tho I understand the  concept behind it.

I work as an internet consultant and my CV is so descriptive, even with
the skills, there is no room for doubt about what my work has entailed.
Now I operate with the attitude that I have a print portfolio and
simple webfolio of the printed work and Im collecting my URLS and
getting everything together for a site that encompasses all that Ive
done. I have references -- very credible refs from some well-known
firms and I have great professional affiliations (being on the board of
directors for one group). If that isnt good enough then I dont bother,
Anyone who wants to pay receptionist wages for my expertise, experience
and education is not someone I want to work for.

Unfortunately, the bottom line for far too many clients is the person
who bills (way) under will get the job. But cheapest doesnt equal best.
And Ive had a number of  former prospects come back around after giving
me the brush off because they didnt want to pay me what I am worth.

There is no easy solution -- but most of the changes have to come from
within the industry ---- as Ive detailed earlier.

peace

Lisa