RE: yikes! how much do i charge?

by "L. J. Durham" <taliesinmedia(at)yahoo.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:33:21 +0100 (BST)
 To:  Liliane Miller <lmiller(at)carolina.rr.com>,
Hwg-Graphics <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
OK -- I am on the Executive Committee of the National Board of
Directors of the Graphic Artists Guild (www.gag.org -- yes the site
sucks and they are working on that). We've been around for over 30
years and we are a union, only recently Affiliated with UAW and boy
have weve seen the benefits resulting from it already. For our Canadian
Friends -- The Society of Graphic Designers is a sister organization.

Every year the GAG (hee hee yep I know what you are thinking) publishes
a great reasource that no one can do without. Its called "The Graphic
Artists Guild's Pricing & Ethical Guidelines" -- it covers all areas of
visual art and now has tons of information on Digital and Web
Guidelines. While nothing is written in stone -- extensive research
goes into it every year and the pricing listed is fair enough. It also
gets into issues about copyright (even electronic copyright),
work-for-hire and all sorts of things we can often overlook in this
business. While it doesnt necessarily address fees for programming --
it is a base for assessing what you want to be (and SHOULD be) charging
for your work.

Stop by the local bookstore and have a look -- and add it to the
bookshelf. All of the major graphic design publications and leading
colleges and universities make use of it.

$1,000? ---- please what they are asking for is worth much more than
that -------- they obviously either dont have a clue or they are trying
to get something for almost nothing. Probably a combination of the two.
Reminds me of an almost-client who wanted an e-commerce site for free
-----

Best of Luck