Re: I Got the Intermediate Web Designer Blues

by "Katrina Lobbia" <klobbia(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Nov 1999 19:49:17 PST
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
The best advice I've ever gotten on that topic?

If you spend a long time on a site, and are really proud of the way its
turned out, and want to include in your portfolio/with your resume, PRINT IT
OUT.
Make a hard copy (or even two) of the entire site, as it looked when you had
full control of it.
Put it in a set of those nifty plastic sleeves, in a neat little binder, and
include it with your portfolio. This way you can show prospective clients
your artistic and design capabilities.

Also, clients should be pretty understanding. The Web is an ever changing
market. If you want to keep your viewers coming back for more, you gotta
keep things up to date.
This is one of the reasons I've been doing alot of programming work to make
sections on webpages dynamic. This way, the customer can go in and change
things they want... (Like a newsletter section... or a specials page) and I
set the way it looks. then at least I have SOME control of the look of the
site. and Usually, the client is fairly happy with the Results.
Plus, they can then do simple text updates themselves, rather than dish out
the $50 per hour "Maintanance and updates" fees my company charges them for
simple things.

My two cents.
~Katrina