Re: design resolution question

by "Katrina Lobbia" <klobbia(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:32:40 PST
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
We run into this problem alot at my office, and I sat down one day and sized
up the max viewing space for each resolution.... they match about what
mebmonkey says...

BUT, designing for only 270 in height is a little ludicrous... so I use what
I call the "Magic Numbers" when designing.... I do most of my layout in
photoshop, and design for 620 pixels by 430 pixels.
The reason for this is that the majority of web users these days use
800X600....
BUT, I know how annoying horizontal scrolling can be, so I go for the
smallest width, yet the Mead height. this way no horizontal scroll bars for
anyone, but its not too much to ask the 480x600 people to scroll down a
little.

My 2 cents
Katrina

From: "Jason Peters" <Jason(at)fmb.org.uk>
To: "Alan Wilson" <lightstorm(at)jps.net>, <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
Subject: Re: design resolution question
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:23:43 -0000

You should check out the Webmonkey article 'Sizing Up The Browers' on the
HotWired site. The URL is as follows:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/41/index3a.html?tw=design

They suggest that to ensure that everyone can see a page in its entirety it
should be no larger than 557x270 pixels for those running at a resolution of
640x480 and 717x390 for those at 800x600.

They do take the MS Office taskbar into account in these calculations.

HTH.
---
Jason Peters
BRIX Project Web Designer