Re: Simple graphics program

by Susan Vollmer <susanvollmer(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:30:02 -0800 (PST)
 To:  Lauri Vain <optima(at)hot.ee>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Lauri,

So far, I've only used two graphics programs --
Fireworks 3.0 and Photoshop 5.0.  What I like about
each program includes the following, but you will have
to decide what criteria is important to you.

Fireworks:
--does a better job at holding typography together
placed on a photograph.  In some programs, type over a
photo can appear fuzzy or bleed.
--has a view toggle that allows you to see how the
image would appear on a mac (lighter) vs a pc
(darker).
--gives you a preview capability of how the image
would appear as a gif or jpg with file size and
estimated dowloading time.
--costs less and was quicker for me to learn than
Photoshop.

Photoshop:
--has a feature where you take the current image and
it appears in smaller multiple versions on a page
where you can click to add more or less of a single
color to an image, all the time comparing to the
original.
--has a very large selection of filters that allow you
to provide special effects to your photo.
--having worked before as a photographer/reporter I
find it amazing that there's a software program that
can actually let you add light into a photograph.
This can be used to create a darkened border around
the edges and you can place a spotlight on the part of
the photo you want to accentutate.
--you can check the want ads where you live, but when
I see positions advertised for web designers where
graphics is part of the duties, predominatly Photoshop
is the software mentioned.

Both programs come with a manual which I consider a
plus.  I'm not one to learn a software program through
the help menus.

Whatever graphics program you ultimately choose, I
scan my photographs as a .png image and do all my
editing to the .png file.  Then I export to .gif and /
or .jpg.  Always keep a .png file and use that for
your edits because it will be better quality.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Susan V.
http://www.fallenmartyrs.com