RE: best way to scale images up in Photoshop?

by Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:27:26 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  HWG Graphics <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
<snip>

> > Maybe try re-sampling it?
> >
> And be sure that "Keep ratios" is checked. I'm not sure of that's the
> exact
> term  but it's something like that. Hope this helps.
>
> Gail

To all who've replied, on and off list.

Thanks.  Yeah, I'm constraining proportions.

This problem is most prominent when working with screen shots.
Specifically, I capture screen shots of dialog boxes at 72 or 96 dpi
(Mac and Win, respectively) and put them in advertisements. I increase
their resolution (dots-per-inch) using Photoshop's Image Size command.
While this isn't perfect (hence my post), it does produce a better
image for printing in a 300 or 600 dpi advertisement.
Of course, dialog boxes include text and other sharp lines, making the
poor effects of Photoshop's Image Size command most noticeable.

Someone else suggested I rescan the image again on my scanner. I think
that might be what Brian meant as well. It's amazing how many artists
assume that every image will pass over a scanner! Well, thank you; If I
do ever use a scanner, I'll remember that I can go back for a higher
resolution.

<rant>
Now, if only I could increase the screen resolution for real! Going
from 800x600 pixels to 1032x768 pixels, for example, only makes the
dialog boxes (and everything else) smaller. Instead, it might sometimes
be nice for the dialog boxes to remain the same apparent size (relative
to teh screen size) but have more pixels representing each detail! Ah,
well, a user can dream.
</rant>

Thanks, and thanks for any thoughts that move this forwards,
Complex

=====
Note:  Any HTML I've typed probably contains
spaces or periods to break it in HTML-capable mail readers.
(e.g.   <.H1>Like This< /H1>  )