Re: Layers in Photoshop

by Richard Newhook <richard(at)thezone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Dec 1997 01:26:57 -0300
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:11 PM 12/23/97 -0200, you wrote:

>	Please some help:
>	How I proceed to work with transparent layers in Photoshop??Real
>transparency, like in Gif format....like this : a blank space in layer 1,
>have to show a layer 2....
>	And another quiz : How I order the layers "to front" and "to back" like in
>Corel Draw...

>                     Andre Natal
> Web Designer  member of HTML Writers Guild
>anatal(at)iron.com.br   anatal(at)sol.svc.com.br
>                   ICQ UIN:4758726

	If you want to be able to take your photoshop pic and save it as a .gif,
follow these steps:

	When you create a new graphic, set the background layer as
transparent.....create your pic as you want.  When it's time to create the
.gif format, choose File/export - gif89a.  You will be then given a chance
to choose a color to represent your transparent area.....my recommendation
is to pick a color you're not using in your pic.  This should then save the
gif with a proper transparency around it.

	One other note: since gif pictures see that one color and that one color
ONLY as the transparency, I wouldn't recommend using any kind of style that
fades to transparent.  Your fade will come out looking ugly (meaning it
wont fade out right, and will end with a sharp edge), and nothing like what
you were hoping for.  Just try it to see what I'm talking about.  I've
always gotten around this problem by using a background color in the pic
that is the same color as the background in my page, but if the page has a
background with a pattern into it, it'll be darn near impossible to do this
seamlessly.  *shrug* I'd love to hear any suggestions on getting around
that one.

Richard Newhook
richard(at)thezone.net