Re: Who are you folks--reality check?

by Bob McClelland <moonraker(at)webart.u-net.com>

 Date:  Mon, 09 Mar 1998 20:16:24 +0000
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:39 08/03/98 -0600, Shay wrote:
>Really nice encouragement, Greg.   Perhaps one of the reasons the group
>works is because those who have a certain amount of skills are willing to
>share what they do know in order to become better artists themselves.
>Reading over the list of bios, it's clearly apparent that many of these
>people do not have a formal education in Art.  Be that as it may, they are
>willing to work with their art over and over again, and in some cases,
>succeeding.  And while they have not yet developed their "Designs", they are
>developing skills which is the first major leap into artistic development.
>Perhaps instead of criticizing these people for trying, you should,
>yourself, impart some of your greater wisdom to help these people become
>better artists.  Give us suggestions on what is a better design - lead us
>into better artistic development and offer encouragement to those of us who
>are willing to assert ourselves and try.
>
>You never know - One of these yet undeveloped artists might be the next Joan
>Miro' or David Russo.

Trouble is Shay, anyone with an innate sense of design is already employing
it - in the place he/she puts the stamp on the envelope, in the decor of
the home, etc etc. However, anyone who hasn't got an innate sense of design
can only learn how to be 'neat and tidy'. I must say, I didn't read Greg's
mail the way you did - the fact that he is on this list must imply some two
way learning - No?

This list as I see it is to learn how to do 'technical' things, not design
things. The latter can only be improved by looking at the work of others.

Just my 2p's worth.
regards
BOB (McClelland)
Cornwall ENGLAND