Re: what's the thing against black backgrounds?

by "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <webmaster(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:17:25 -0400
 To:  "George Ramos" <gramos(at)jps.net>,
"mike jackson" <mjackson(at)efn.org>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi All.

<DISCLAIMER>
This is _strictly_ MHO
</DISCLAIMER>

I *believe* the "problem" with black backgrounds is that it mandates a
white (or very light) font color. This is a problem for those browsers
still out there that don't/can't support BG COLOR (or IMG) *YES*, there are
still a _heck_ of a lot of them (I have personal knowledge in the academic
area - I support a BUNCH that can't).

Speaking academically . . .
It's very common for students to print a page (or several) to use as
reference in class/school projects. Have _you_ ever tried to print white
font on a black and white printer???? It prints *perfectly* . . . in white.
Thus the printed page *appears* quite blank.

Granted . . . we all know it's possible to go into preferences and "demand"
that any font be printed BLACK regardless. Lets see . . . well over 15000
computers in this district alone . . .  any rocket scientist out there want
to guestimate how many "man hours" (no offense ladies) that would take? I
can tell you: TOO MANY. "Our" principals and administrators would have
little purple cows (no offense cows) if we even attempted to do that.

There, you have it. One computer-flunkies OPINION.
SeaYa, Fuzzy

At 09:44 AM 4/22/98 -0700, George Ramos wrote:
>Hi Mike,
>
>>i've noticed a lot of critiques saying black backgrounds look amateurish.
>>why? why is one color that bad?
>

>Black and white backgrounds are most common because they take to
>other colors well.  Black is good for photography and art sites because
>the photos or paintings will stand out and not be disturbed by the
>background
>color.  Black on a Quake site?  I think it would be perfect but what do
>I know.  I've only designed around a dozen sites.   :)
>
>                             -=  George  =-
>                           gramos(at)jps.net
>                     Clever Communications
>            Member of the HTML Writers Guild