Re: Scanning in a slide

by Peter Williams <hendauto(at)ne.com.au>

 Date:  Sat, 09 Jan 1999 21:31:14 +1100
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I suspect that they don't produce a quality result from 35mm slides.
The image is so small that the optics aren't really calibrated/designed
to deal accurately with that small an image.

Real 35 mm scanners are much higher res than the 300 or 600 dpi
that a normal flatbed works at. Your UMAX sounds like it may be
a better quality unit (1200 dpi?) so it may have a better chance.

I think 4800 dpi is more like what a proper 35mm slide scanner works at.

Peter.

At 00:15 9/01/99 -0600, carlab(at)execpc.com typed frantically:
>I have a UMAX Astra 1200S Scanner and wonder if anyone has used the
>Transparency adapter for it?
>
>I've been waffling about getting the adapter for it vs. purchasing the
>Microtek ScanMaker X6EL which is bundled with a 35mm adapter.  Both are
>SCSI, legal size scanners with an optical resolution of 600 x 1200 dpi.

Peter Williams
hendauto(at)ne.com.au