Re: Transparent Color/Selective Area

by "David R. Heys" <arcana(at)sinbad.net>

 Date:  Sun, 07 Dec 1997 06:01:06 -0900
 To:  "Collin Lim" <collinlim(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:30 AM 12/07/1997 PST, you wrote:

>I have an image with white text surrounded by a blurred border.  Since

>the textured backgound of the page is white, I've picked white as the

>transparent color when exporting to GIF format.  Now, I've also made the

>white text transparent, which I don't want.  Can someone shine a light

>on me?

The best way to do this is to fill in the area surrounding your text and it's blurred bordering with a new color (make sure you have anti-alias turned off in the fill options box). Choose something that does not appear anywhere else in the image (say, a green color). When you export the image, choose the new, filled color as your transparent color.

If your palette is already fixed and you need to pick a color outside of the palette's indexed range:

1) Switch the image to RGB for a moment.

2) Choose a new fill color.

3) fill in the areas you want transparent.

4) Switch back to indexed color.

Hope that helps. :{)

Later,

David R. Heys