Quick Phong Tip (WAS Re: Logo needs fixin' up!)

by Adrian K <peregrine(at)jwp.bc.ca>

 Date:  Thu, 05 Feb 1998 16:55:05 -0600
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
FYI, here's a good trick when you want to create a round object that's
phong shaded. If you're using photoshop, double-click on the gradient tool
to bring up options, and then create a custom gradient going from white to
black. Edit the transparency so that the white is visible at the beginning,
and black is visible at the end. You can mess around with this to get
various degrees of shininess. You might want to save this setting for later
use. Make sure gradient is set to radial. Select the object to shade
(perhaps with the round marquee). Start the gradient where you want the
shine, end it where you want shadow. You can vary this, too. For added
realism you can add a soft drop shadow. I expect this is exactly how
Demetrius did it, but this way you can vary the effect yourself. I've found
the gradients extremely usefull for doing rounded objects where the bevels
don't cut it. As someone else noted, this could be achieved with lighting
effects, but I don't like that look quite as much. If you want a neat bumpy
look though, try out the lighting with the various texture channels.

-Adrian
|_ /  o\ _n_t_i_m_a_t_t_e_r__S_t_u_d_i_o_s_    |
|  \_/|/   3D/Graphics/HTML                    |
| /  |  \  Adrian K (HurghwI'/Peregrine)       |
|    '     PGP Key ID 0x83FE3088 - ICQ 2101397 |
|    '     http://www.jwp.bc.ca/peregrine      |