RE: Designing for Viewers

by Chris Hawkins <wings(at)azstarnet.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 May 1999 22:47:24 -0700
 To:  "Diaz,
Jeff" <Jeff.Diaz(at)ModisPro.com>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks, Jeff.  I do understand about size, etc.  I really wanted to know if
the  crispness made that much difference to folks when designing.  I still
believe you should use the same eyeglasses your client sees, ifyou know
what I mean.  But perhaps the tradeoff is not that perceptible and worth
having the lower dot pitch just for personal satisfaction and using the
darn thing every day for work....

At 08:17 PM 5/27/99 +0100, you wrote:
>The only difference should be that you're .25 monitor is a little
>crisper than the .28 monitor.  Image size-wise there's no difference.
>The dot pitch and the resolution are two different things.  640x480
>is still 640x480, it just that you've got a few more dots lighting
>up than on the other monitors.  All this can do is create a sharper
>image.
>
>Take a ruler, for instance, and draw dots every 1/8 inch for 1 inch.
>Then draw dots every 1/16 inch for 1 inch.  Both make up a line, but
>the 1/16 line is a little clearer than the 1/8 line.  This is a poor
>example, but I think it helps some.
>
>Well, this was my little contribution.  I hope I've helped and not
>mistaken the question.  If I'm just way off, please excuse me.
>
>Oh, yeah, now to actually answer the question:
>
>  a)  not a big concern
>  2)  no measurable difference (perception-wise) unless this is your field
>

> - Jeff
>
>> I understand this...uh...you know I have been designing for
>> clients...the
>> point is, how much difference have people found from a
>> monitor with .25
>> for instance THEY DESIGN ON from the majority of clients with
>> a monitor of
>> .28, which is fairly standard?  Since I'm not getting a lot
>> of feedback on
>> this specficially, I'm wonder if a) it's not a concern to
>> most of you, or
>> 2) there is no measurable or noticeable difference.
>>
>> Please give me some detail, thank you.

Chris Hawkins
Author & Web Architect
Home Office: 520-795-9979

The idea is not [only] to make art, but to be in that wonderful state which
makes art inevitable.

				-- Robert Henri and [CHRIS HAWKINS]