Re: E-commerce, Honesty and re-inventing the wheel

by Chris Hawkins <wings(at)azstarnet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 09 Jun 1999 15:45:15 -0700
 To:  "Jim Heaton" <Jim(at)Heaton.net>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim, in reply to:

>If you were an architect building an office complex would you be dishonest
>in not telling your client that you weren't going to make all your own nails
>and drive every last one yourself? Of course not. Would you make your own
>hammer too?
>
>If you did say you were going to do it all yourself, the client would think
>you were a moron.
>
>Whose idea was it that you had to be the carpenter, the plumber and the
>electrician as well as the designer? Programmers and such have a place in
>the world too, and I didn't get started in this just to go to night school
>for the rest of my life and put perfectly good people out of work.

I agree with this completely.

Programming is a wondrous thing.  So is graphic art, we need ALL of it, and
no one can get great at every single thing.

Point is, there are greatnesses in being able to design a site that works
for the user, is good navigationally and helps move people to calls to action.

That is a skill too -- one that should have MUCH more value than is
currently NOT even being discussed as part of web design.

That's my whole point !

Chris Hawkins
Author & Web Architect
Home Office: 520-795-9979

The idea is not [only] to make art, but to be in that wonderful state which
makes art inevitable.

				-- Robert Henri and [CHRIS HAWKINS]