Re: Creating mouseover graphics

by "Michael Zimmermann" <green(at)myna.com>

 Date:  Sat, 06 Dec 1997 08:00:22 -0500
 To:  f u s i o n <brianj(at)ais.ais-gwd.com>,
Ray Hatch <rhatch(at)edg.net>,
Zach Bagnall <bagnall(at)ihug.co.nz>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well, I suppose I'm guilty for being one of the "obscure to newbies"
posters, but honestly, i don't think it's a field that really has too much
'step by step' to it... (Microsoft professional image editing wizard?  =)

I'd like to be clear that this is not a flame towards newbies or anybody at
all, and I'm not criticizing the step-by-step approach to answering
questions -- I'm just explaining why I don't use it.

There are basics to any trade or skill, and they are prerequisites for many
of the questions here.  When I answer a question, i assume that the person
asking knows how to install and configure the software being used, and that
they understand the basic workings of a mouse, and the fact that the
computer needs to be on.

If they're asking me about something in photoshop 4, I'm assuming they
haven't spent a few hundred dollars on something that they expect to be
able to pick up right away.  There's a /reason/ it's priced that way, and
because it's the choice of many professionals... and it takes effort to learn.

Adobe products have come with better manuals than most software that I've
seen, and they're very clear and to the point for the most part.  My
original copy of Photoshop was on floppy disks, but the CD's that you buy
now are /full/ of tutorials and online help.

So, rather than repeat all of the information that you should have on your
right-hand-side, my answers, and the answers that are charged as 'vague'
just happen to concentrate on the points that apply to the specifics of a
certain situation.

you are /not/ an idiot, nor is anybody who asks basics questions, but i
also don't think it unfair to assume a bit of footwork on the part of
whoever is asking the question...in many cases, it's what makes you learn
the /why's/ of what you're doing.

Green

[ New personal site at http://www.myna.com/~tempest/green/ ]