Re: web graphic help

by "Michael Zimmermann" <green(at)myna.com>

 Date:  Sat, 06 Dec 1997 12:05:24 -0500
 To:  mareegold(at)earthlink.net,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:14 AM 12/6/97 -0500, Mare-E-Gold wrote:
>I need an opinion on how to reduce { in bytes} a grapic I am using on my
>web page. It is a .jpg and currently at 70 kb.. way to slow to load
>quickly.
>When I tried reducing the amount of colors to 256 it gets weird on me.
>The colors in the sky 'band' badly .

Cindy, i was able to cut it down to about 21k, but it's not going to get
much smaller than that without a large loss of quality.  reducing the
number of colours is a technique best reserved for indexed image formats...

i don't mean to be judgemental, buy why didn't you take this first to
whoever will be doing the graphics and logos portion of your website design?

If you'd like to look at or use that graphic, i've put it up on
http://www.myna.com/~tempest/list/desert2.jpg for a bit of time.

nice design, but there's some problems with your code that you may want to
run through a validator, or at least they should get cleaned up /before/
you start to charge for this as a service.. \=)

Regards,
Green

[ New personal site at http://www.myna.com/~tempest/green/ ]