Re: DPI setting using Photoshop 4

by "Michael Zimmermann" <green(at)myna.com>

 Date:  Sun, 07 Dec 1997 19:43:26 -0500
 To:  "Alvin" <jtalbain(at)mbox2.singnet.com.sg>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:18 AM 12/8/97 +0800, Alvin wrote:
>Dear list,
>I made an illustration with a resolution of 800x1100, with a DPI of 72.
>When I sent it to the printing personnel, he said he needed it @ 210mm X
280mm with
>a DPI of 300!
>So I loaded up my image and went to "image size" but could not set the
printsize +
>resolution as required above! Also, in the top box, the filesize grew to
an amazing
>13330mb <faint>.
>But it reported an error, saying the values input were too big.
>
>In summary, this is what I want to do:
>I got a 800x1100 image which needs to be converted into 210mm X 280mm @
300DPI.
>How can I do it? Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered!
>
>BTW, I use IrFanView32 as my image browser, as well as everyone's
favourite PS3's
>image browser.
>IrFan can be downloaded FOC from
http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/download.html

I'm not familiar with IrFanView, but in Photoshop, this should be a fairly
simple matter, although if you're doing work for print, i'd suggest
starting at 3/400 dpi...it's easier to reduce the resolution than it is to
blow up the image and still have good quality work.

The main thing you ahve to remember is that DPI means nothing for web page
work... not even 72 dpi... a good bit of reading regarding this can be
found at the scanning faq:
http://www.cyberramp.net/~fulton/basics1a.html
so if you're doing work for the web, all you have to worry about is pixels...

pixels compared to printing, are rarely closer than 150DPI, though, so you
never really see the same thing on paper...

open your image in Photoshop, then choose Image/Image Size...

go straight to 'resolution' and change that to 300.
	- you'll get the ungodly file size that you mentioned.. =)

change your height to the 28 cm, and if you want the /exact/ dimensions,
then you'll either have to crop it, or uncheck the 'constrain aspect ratio'
box.

you'll still end up with an image that's huge (something like 2400x3300px),
but if you want something printed at that size, there's not much else you
can do...other than to create your original artwork at that resolution, to
make sure you get the best quality.

Green

[ New personal site at http://www.myna.com/~tempest/green/ ]