Beveled Text|Channels & Masks [Was: blank]

by f u s i o n <brianj(at)ais.ais-gwd.com>

 Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:05:47 -0500
 To:  "Dr. Jerry M. Obaldo" <tinola(at)pworld.net.ph>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
While on a grassy hilltop in Northern Spain, surrounded by goats, Dr. Jerry
M. Obaldo wrote:
>i'm trying to study photoshop, primarily to produce
>beveled text which has become very common not only
>on the web but in advertisements and magazine layouts
>as well.  apparently one needs alien skin filters
>to do this (inside and outside bevel).
>can a reasonably similar effect be achieved w/o filters?
>the effect i want is for the apparent light source to
>come from the top and to the left.
>i tried embossing a blurred copy of the text but the
>effect isnt even close.
>also, i need to be able to do this with simple logos.
>im a newbie so i wouldnt feel insulted if you give
>step by step instructions.
>thanks in advance!
>B?)
-----------

Hi Doc,

DO you rEAliZE how many step by step instructions you are talking about? :)
People write web pages about this sort of thing-- it's that long of an
explanation.

True, it is easier to use Alien Skin Eyecandy's inner and outer bevel, but
with a bit of time (about 2 hours the first time) you can get the same
effect or even better using channels and masks. I advise any beginner to
get used to masks and channels if you ever want to do this sort of thing,
without paying tons on plugins.

Visit this address: <http://www.visi.com/~drozone/handson/index.html>

I promise you that if you learn all of the lighting effects tutorials here,
you will be able to do any type of bevel combination that you could ever
dream of.

As a bonus, learn the texture wrapping tutorial here after you learn the
lighting effects/channels tutorial.

Some of the best examples of texture wrapping that I have ever seen
are/were at

Lance Arthur's place; Glassdog.

http://www.glassdog.com

and

InfiniteFish

http://infinitefish.com/ifp/
http://www.infinitefish.com/

I know this will help, or at least get you confused.

b.j.