Re: Question on Large Image

by Stede Bonnett <stedeb(at)earthling.net>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:36:38 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:24 PM 12/15/97 PST, you wrote:
>Hi List:
>
>I'm doulbtful whether this is the proper list to post my question.
>Since I'm feeling brave today, here it goes...
>
>I'm working on a site that requires almost all the contents be on a
>single image.  As you can imagine, the file size will be quite large.  I
>understand that this approach is not recommended, but since this is my
>client's will, I'll try my best to accommodate.
>
>Here's the question, can someone tell me if it will reduce loading time
>if I parse the image into several images and put them together using the

Since, for each image, the browser will have to contact the server (which
can sometimes take longer than actually transferring any data) It would
probably be faster to just use a single image - a interlaced gif or
progressive jpeg.
The only exclusion would be if the image had a number of repeated sections
that could be reused to recreate the original. Then it may be wiser to use
multiple images since each repeated part will only need to be transferred
once.

Stede Bonnett                     ***noted ten BeSt***
stedeb(at)earthling.net       ----------------------------------
layer3(at)cyberdude.com
http://members.aol.com/et3bahn/mp3/
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order"-The Doctor