Re: shtml

by Dan Cash <dmcash(at)facstaff.wisc.edu>

 Date:  Sat, 27 Dec 1997 09:38:15 -0600
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Thierry Botten" <botten.thierry(at)tornado.be>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Has anyone seen a website where this topic (SSI, of course) is explained
>(howto's, FAQ's, tutors)?

(Actually, Thierry, this list shouldn't be used for this question. It's better
asked at -servers or -newtech. I'm taking advantage of the fact that
the list guides are gone until the first of the month, and replying on the
list.)

The HTML Writers Guild's website [ http://www.hwg.org/ ]
contains a wealth of reference pages, among them Useful
URLs, [ http://www.hwg.org/resources/useful.html ] which
contains several reference sites to SSI's, and typing the
word "ssi" into metacrawler produced 57 hits, with about
a dozen of them being tutorials.
Finding one that fits your own ability and personality
shouldn't take too long.

My belief is that people should learn *how to learn*, rather
than have each question answered like a small child being
led by the hand. It is better for the student's self esteem and
eases the burden for the teachers. If there are reasons you
could not avail yourself of the reference material available,
I apologize. However, next time it might be prudent to
announce why you can't research a little bit first.

That rant now being out of my system, here's a URL to check:
[ http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/includes.html ].
That's the most comprehensive anyway. I also include the URL
for what I consider the best search engine, Metacrawler:
[ http://www.metacrawler.com ] (who, incidentally, provides
the code to put their engine into your work page.
(Everyone keeps a work page containing all the links they use
every day, right?)

Happy Holidays,
Dan