Re: changing resolution in PSP

by Louis Lubbers <lists(at)netadvies.nl>

 Date:  Sun, 25 Jan 1998 10:09:01 +0100
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Yes, you have to forget all about dpi and ppi when you are working with
monitors and Internet. The only thing you can set is the number of pixels,
the monitor of the user will then decide how much actual space to use for
the image. You can not change this unless you change the setting of your
video driver. I have my monitor set to 800x600 and am using a 15 inch
monitor. So 800 pixels are distributed over 13 3/4 inch, this comes to 58
pixels per inch (dpi). This is lower then the "standard" value of about 76
dpi, because I have a 15 inch monitor rather than a 14 inch.

You see on a good number of web pages things like "best viewed at 800 x
600". I don't think this is a very good idea to do this because people are
really not going to change the setting of their monitor just to see your
site the best possible way. If they have 640x480, then they have that
settting for a good reason, higher doesn't work well for them. There are
still a lot of people with 386 and 486 computers with older graphic cards,
saying they should look at your site at 800x600 is like saying they should
get a new computer. Which is, to my opinion, not a good thing to do, we do
not know the financial position of these people.

Another factor is dotch pitch. The dotch pitch is the distance between two
holes in screen. A dotch pitch of 0.28 means the distance is 0.28
millimeters. Because the way the holes are arranged the distance between
two horizontal (or vertical) lines is 0.24 mm or 0.00095 inches, this means
105 holes per inch. This is irrespective of the setting of the graphics
driver. To see these holes you can spit (...)  on your screen, the drops
will act as a strong magnifying glass.

Louis, Netadvies.