Re: hwg-graphics-digest V1 #88

by Louis Lubbers <lists(at)netadvies.nl>

 Date:  Mon, 09 Feb 1998 06:35:05 +0100
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  dflem(at)ix.netcom.com
>Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 16:19:17 -0600 (CST)
>From: dflem(at)ix.netcom.com
>Subject: Re: percentage monitors with 256 colours?
>

>Since that is the default setting on the VAST majority of monitors, the
>percentage is probably in the 80% range. Most people do not know that this
>setting can be changed, nor do they have any reason to.

Hi Dan,

I heard from elsewhere the percentage was high. Surely every PC (Pentium)
sold today is set to a higher resolution? I would think that computer shops
would set the colour depth as high as possible. Most 386 and 486 PC will be
set to 256 and maybe some Pentiums at companies.

However, for web surfing people use mostly Pentium and 486. So the
percentage of people that are both surfing and have a monitor set to 256
colours might be less than 80 percent. Still, if the percentage is higher
than 5-10 percent one should design for it, I think.

Louis, Netadvies.