Re: Photoshop vs. Paint Shop file preferences

by Gary Broyhill <broyhill(at)lrc.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:13:29 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I don't think I made myself clear in my original post, so let me try again.

What I am basically trying to do is duplicate in PSP what I do in
Photoshop. I'm reducing graphics for use on the web. What do I do in PSP to
duplicate these steps in Photoshop:

IMAGE Menu
IMAGE SIZE
Change file size to 72 dpi
Save As JPG, quality level 2

thanks

Gary B.

My original post:

At 03:31 PM 3/25/98 -0500, Gary Broyhill wrote:
>I use both Photoshop 4.0 and Paint Shop, and do not understand the
>difference in the way the programs manipulate file sizes. Example: In PS4,
>I take a 200 dpi TIF file, select IMAGE, IMAGE SIZE, then manually change
>the file size to 72 pixels/inch. I then Save As .JPG with level 2 quality.
>In attempting to do the same thing in Paint Shop, I have the file
>preferences set to save JPG at 72, compression level 8. So when I save the
>same 200 dpi file to JPG, I don't know how to get the same result that I am
>getting with the previous PS4 procedure.  It seems that with Paint Shop, I
>have to go the extra step and reduce the image dimensions as well, whereas
>Photoshop does that automatically.
>
>Also, how does PSP "compression" level for JPG compare with PS4 "quality"
>setting?

Gary C. Broyhill
Information Systems Dept.
Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, N.C.