Re: RGB vs. CMYK

by Gary Broyhill <broyhill(at)lrc.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 15:21:14 -0400
 To:  Claus Cyrny <ccyrny(at)stuttgart.netsurf.de>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Gary Broyhill wrote:
>
>> I have a problem, need some guidance: I imported an RGB graphic from PS 4.0
>> into PageMaker, but then realized that I forgot to change it to CMYK. So I
>> went back to PS and did a mode change to CMYK. When I imported it into
>> PageMaker, the CMYK version was much darker than the original RGB.

>Did you check the 'gamma' settings both in Photoshop & in Pagemaker (see
under 'Color Settings >
>Monitor Setup ...')? I had the same problem some time ago when opening
Photoshop images in Paint
>Shop Pro, and it turned out that I hadn't adjusted the gamma properly in
PSP. When I changed this, everything
>was ok. What you have to keep in mind when converting a RGB file to CYMK
is, that the color range ('gamut')
>in the latter is smaller. Although Photoshop automatically converts the
RGB colors 'into gamut', there
>may be some slight color shifts, because there are simply less colors
available. (BTW, 'out-of-gamut'
>colors are being displayed in the 'info' box in Photoshop with an
exclamation mark behind the numeric values).

Thanks Claus....I'll try that and let you know if it solves the problem. I
suppose what I should have done was work with CMYK from the beginning,
because I knew that was going to be my output. It was having to convert it
at the last second that caused the problem, no doubt.

Gary C. Broyhill
Information Systems Group
Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, N.C.
http://www.lrc.edu