Re: Can photoshop slice vs. imagestyler

by Mark Horvath <mhorvath(at)shore.net>

 Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:44:49 -0400
 To:  rserrao(at)ucdavis.edu
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>        Is there anyway to slice an image in photoshop so it can be
>        loaded into cells in a golive table?  I've done a search for
>        "slice" and "split" but I cannot find instructions for
>        photoshop and I don't see it in my photoshop books.

Hi Rosanne,

You can slice an image with Photoshop. There's a little bit of work
involved but it's not too difficult. All you need are Guides and the
rectangular Marquee Tool. In brief, position your guides to how you want to
slice up the picture, use the rectangular Marquee Tool to select a section
(making sure that you have turned on "Snap to Guides" under the View menu).
Copy that selection. Then open up a new image by clicking on File-->New and
paste what you just copied into it. Save the new image and repeat the
procedure until you have all the pieces you need. I'll include a few more
details below in case they are useful.

To create Guides:

First, you will need to have your rulers showing. Either go up to the View
Menu and select "Show Rulers" or press Control+ R. (If you're using a Mac,
I believe it's Command+R)

Next, click on the Move Tool in the floating tool palette to select it.
Position the Move Tool cursor in either the horizoantal or vertical ruler,
hold down the mouse button and drag your guide line to where you want your
picture to be sliced. You can create as many guide lines as you want

To select the section to Slice:

The most important thing to remember here is to have "Snap to Guides"
turned on. This will insure precise selections and perfect joints when the
picture is reassembled. You can turn this feature on from either
View-->"Snap to Guides", or pressing Shift + Control + ;  (Sorry, don't
know what that is for the Mac)

Now, with the Rectanglar Marquee Tool selected, click and drag diagonally
from, let's say, the top left intersection of two guides down to the bottom
right intersection of two guides.

Copy this selection by going to either Edit-->Copy or pressing Control+C

Creating a New Image from your Selection:

Leaving your original picture open, create a new image by using either
File-->New or pressing Control+N. Don't change the suggested dimensions of
the image that appear in the New Image window. Photoshop is smart and
automatically uses the dimensions of the copied selection stored in the
clipboard and puts them into the New Image window for you.

Paste your selection into the new image using either Edit-->Paste or
pressing Control+V. Save the new image and repeat the procedure until you
have all the pieces you need.

Final Note:

When you reassemble the picture pieces in an HTML table, make sure in the
table tag you specify cellpadding="0" and cellspacing="0". Not to muddy the
waters too much, but one time I was reassembling a sliced picture in an
HTML table and had cellpadding and cellspacing both set to "0". The top
right corner piece of the picture, though, refused to butt up flush against
the cell to its left. Not until I went into that Image tag and specified
hspace="0" (ie., horizontal space=0) did the picture sit flush with its
neighbor. Go figure!

Best wishes,

Mark Horvath
--