Re: Web Stats? Who's using 640x480?

by Mary Ann Chapman <chapman(at)fanfarehouse.com>

 Date:  Fri, 06 Mar 1998 17:48:14 -0700
 To:  nskrenes(at)kusd.kusd.edu,
Nick Finck <webmaster(at)digital-web.com>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org, hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org, "hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:52 PM 3/2/98 -0600, Neal Skrenes wrote:
>Nick Finck wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>         First off, I would like to thank the people who took the time to
fill out
>> my survey these last few weeks.  The results are astonishing and perhaps
>> shed some more like on the changing times.
>
><snip>
>
>> What screen resolution do you use?
>> 50% - 1024x768
>> 31% - 800x600
>> 06% - 1280x1024
>> 06% - 640x480
>> 06% - Don't Know
>
>Not really! Your sample is skewed heavily toward graphics users, ( >50%) and
>those who have:
>
>	a. photo editing app  . . .

I run a mailing list for another industry that has no relation to the Web
or graphics.  About 6 months ago, I asked them what resolution they used.
I got 48 responses. They were:

640x480 - 31
800x600 - 12
1024x768 - 2
1280x1024 - 3

Clearly it depends entirely on the audience.  Since my clients are mainly
businesses with general-public or general-business customers or audiences,
I decided to stick with designing first for 640x480.

Mary Ann Chapman