DHTML Text

by Candi <candi(at)extremezone.com>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Jul 1998 15:59:29 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I have a question about DHTML Text.  Who knows how to make a viewers' browser
>download a font from my server?

Actually, I have done a test page using what are called Dynamic Fonts.  The
URL is http://pricklypear.addr.com/tour/nographics.html

The font files must be in a particular format to be used dynamically.  You
cannot just use the regular true type fonts from your system.  There are a
couple of ways of getthing these special files.  It used to be that for
Microsoft IE you needed one format and for netscape you needed a different
one.  Meaning you would have to have two seperate files for each font.
What a pain.  But, now they have come up with an activex control that will
allow IE to read the same font that Netscape uses.  Much easier.  Dynamic
fonts are only compatable with Netscape and IE 4.0.

1- buy a software program (about $120) that will create these files and
then put them on your own server and link to them in your page.
I think this is the URL for that
http://www.hexmac.com/hexmac/engl/webtools/typograph2/typograph2.html

-OR-

2- link to a selection of free dynamic fonts that are available from
http://www.truedoc.com/webpages/availpfrs/avail_pfr_samples_all.htm
(that is a page that is further into the site....but you should be able to
get back to the beginning easily.)  That is what I did for that sample page.

Hope that helps, as far as I know, this is the only way to assure that your
font is used.

Candi
-
Candi McCann